Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Normal is a setting on the dishwasher....

It certainly isn't a setting in an FPIES world!   That statement is meant to mean- normal is subjective, it refers to objects activity and not lives.    Normal is whatever you want it to be.   But last night, sitting around the table - all 6 of us....I felt normal.   I looked at all 4 of my boys - what, I'm the mother of 4 boys?  When did this happen?  Where has my life gone over the past year that I haven't even been able to fully absorb that I have 4 boys.   Four beautiful boys (yes, a mother can call her boys beautiful).  

Little man seems to be tolerating the Millet well so far.  He is not having any daytime adverse effects at all, not one.  Not one burp, gas attack, suspect diaper, spit up, lethargy, or vomiting of course. In fact he has been so content!!  Nighttime isn't as quiet, he is awake at odd times, for too long of a time.  I am still not sure what to call this- as this has happened before leading up to a reaction but it is also happens for benign, "normal" (there's that setting again) baby/toddler reasons.  So, we press on.    He has been getting millet porridge in the morning, in increasing amounts daily.  He also is enjoying his millet puffs again, as a "snack" and as something to eat when we sit at the table as a family. 

Little man enjoyed sitting with us at the table at dinner (real, actual dinner of pot roast/potatoes/etc.!).  He ate his millet puffs one by one, and then he even stayed there while I cleared the table and cleaned up the dishes.   His daddy couldn't resist how sweet (and normal) he was being so grabbed a few pictures while Little Man "talked" to his big brother. 




This dinner was the end of a nice, "normal" fall day yesterday.  We enjoyed real family time, normal pre-FPIES activities- all together as a family.  I love fall, so we went to a local Apple Orchard/Corn Maze.   Ok, ok- I know, you're thinking- you took your corn allergic kid to a corn maze?   Well, he was safe and enjoyed the ride and view....

No comments:

Post a Comment