The set back of the food trials is on my mind a lot, we were all set to go in 2 weeks ago; and that we didn’t- I feel like we’re in limbo, waiting to go to the hospital for the inevitable and yet looking forward to getting it done…and potentially getting some food for his tiny menu from it, or the very least- learning more about how his body is working and why we’re struggling so much with so many foods.
We got blood cultures last week which tell us if the antibiotic course has helped his body fight the PICC line infection, to test for any signs of the bacteria in his line remaining after the long course of IV antibiotics. We got the results today- negative! The line is CLEAR of bacteria, no lingering bacteria to cause an infection! This is such great news and now we can proceed to the plan of food trials, where we were a few weeks ago before all of this happened. I have thought (and wrote here about) the setback this infection has caused but there is a peace of heart knowing that everything happens for a reason. With that Faith, I have been able to get through this difficult time of the infection, sepsis, hospital stay; but I admit I still have had lingering difficulties with not knowing or understanding the plan, the next steps. I’m a planner- so FPIES often has me turned upside down. I’m learning the difference between planning for the future while trusting in my Faith to intervene in my plans as needed.
I will admit that I feel better today though, knowing the infection is clear and a plan (re-plan) is forming. He will get IV iron this week as his hemoglobin is dipping low again (low 7’s now, normal is 11); and then next week he’ll have a baseline endoscopy before food trials the following week.
All in His plans…trust….