Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why the increase in food allergy's?

"Genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger".   I agree.  I feel we are genetically predisposed to allergies as we would be many other auto-immune diseases.   It is a part of life.   The question remains is why all these diseases are on the rise?  Cancer, diabetes, asthma, allergies....even autism.  Genetics surely plays a pivotal role in the development of these diseases but our environment must be influencing their dramatic rise.  Research can't seem to stay ahead of how far these diseases are growing in our country. 

Could it be GMO foods?  Interesting food for thought.  Do Genetically Modified Foods Cause Allergies?.  I recently called our local natural food store to discuss if they had non-soy/non-corn fed chicken eggs available, or knew of anyone that did.   She was apologetic that she did not know of anyone, did note that she herself had fed her own chicken a grass only diet, they didn't produce many eggs.   Then she went on to say that she did know that the eggs they had in the store were from Non-GMO fed chickens.  Interesting thought entered my mind at that time...well, that may help future generations (which is good) but unfortunately the damage has already been done for my generation- for my son already allergic to corn.  I really see that GMO food can be a big answer in the "why" to the increase of food allergy.  I doubt that it is the only reason but certainly a main culprit.  

PS- this Grass Fed Traditions was recently shared with me as a source of soy free chicken and eggs, as well as grass fed meats.   I have not checked to be sure they are non-corn fed as well but it certainly looks promising so wanted to share it here.  

1 comment:

  1. Funny you bring this up... My mother-in-law was inquiring about the same thing yesterday. It is interesting that the only common meat triggers on the FPIES list are grain-fed domestic birds. If you guys ever re-trial a food using a non-GMO food (non-GMO fed meat), please let us know if you have any different results!

    ReplyDelete