Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Is a Corn Allergy for real?

Corn is an ever growing allergy in the United States.  I, myself, never fully understood it and surely had never met someone allergic to it.  That is until my Little Man was not tolerating things like Tylenol and having violent reactions to formula's and reflux medications that I even began to look into the very real possibility of a corn allergy.  When you first come across it, trying to absorb everything that a corn allergy entails in our everyday lives - in our food supply, it is overwhelming.

When a mom on a corn-free babies board I visit said, "Corn allergy seems to be a pretty big nightmare but to me, it is much better to know and be able to manage than to feel like I am missing something and my baby is suffering for it."....I felt like nothing can sum it up better. 

Recently, an article has gotten some wheels spinning for me (and other corn allergy sufferers). As if a corn allergy isn't very real, or that it is not important....that those suffering from it simply need to just deal with it- for the sake of the economy?  That is the message I received from this article: Allergies: nothing to sneeze at.

Now, I am not one to think the world has to change to accommodate my needs, my son's allergies.   What I would like though is: 1). acknowledgment that a corn allergy is very real. 2). awareness that corn is in everything (don't worry about keeping track- I will do that) and 3. DISCLOSE and LABEL that corn is in your product....and the VERY least - when I call your company to ask about the source of an ingredient, please do not tell me "I don't know where it is from, it's just not from corn"....if you don't know where it is from- it is probably from corn.   It can be refined, processed, fermented, proteins removed and my son will still react to it.....so I need to know.   I do not hold anyone else responsible for his allergy, but I need to know because I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment