Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Friday, August 27, 2010

A strong foundation

This journey began a year ago. It has been a difficult, tiresome, discouraging but encouraging, inspirational, teaching/learning journey of strength and endurance. I have a strong Faith. I believe everything -- every.little.thing. happens for a reason. Sometimes we can see the reason right away, sometimes only in hind site and sometimes years later or never at all...that is Faith- to continue to believe in things even when we can't see, touch, or understand them.

I look back on things that I thought were difficult in my life before this and realize they were all just "primer" for this: food intolerance's have plagued my life since as far back as I can remember, food allergies in my other children have already paved the way for my understanding of it in our Little Man, miscarriages make me grateful in ways only a mom of a child lost can understand of the 4 beautiful boys the Lord has blessed me with...and that even though Little Man has a chronic illness- he is healthy. And we are grateful.

I look back and know that these (among other) things in my life have just given me the strong foundation needed to press on- to press on for 1yr to find a treatment that works for our son (a treatment being something as simple as a diet).

I love to snuggle with my boys, and they love to snuggle- their favorite time is bedtime stories. I read this story to them last week, it spoke to me too (see, again- everything happens for a reason).



A builder built a house one day

But did it in a foolish way

He'd found a stretch of level sand

And bought that pretty piece of land.



There was a stream that flowed nearby,

Which sparkled 'neath a sunny sky.

So on that very lovely spot

He built without a second thought.



But then one day, the sky went black,

He saw and heard the lightening crack.

Next came some mighty wind and rain.

It almost was a hurricane.



And adding to the general woes,

With all that rain, the stream arose.

It got as deep as it could be

And washed the sand right out to sea.



With no foundation anymore

The house was shaken to its core.

Soon it collapsed and went KERPLUNK!

And turned into a pile of junk!



But Jesus talked about a man

Who had a very different plan.

When this man built, he figured out

There would be storms without a doubt.



So, he made sure each building block

Was anchored to the solid rock.

Then soon there came the wind and rain,

Which caused the other fellow's pain.


The stream rose up, but come what may,

It could not wash the rock away.

That other house had gone KERPLUNK!

But his was built upon a rock.



In this short story Jesus is

The solid Rock and we are His

Those who believe in Him alone

Are built upon this Cornerstone.



The storms of life? There will be some.

But on this Rock you'll overcome.

Through all the troubles that you'll face

He'll show you His Amazing Grace.



Taken from "The Wise and Foolish Builders": a Parable of Jesus. Matthew 7:24-27 and Luke 6:47-49 for children.

Written by Larry Burgdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment