Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Millet Groats?

Millet
This mild, very digestible grain is a favorite for folks on a wheat-free diet. It also has a good balance of essential amino acids and is delicious with sautéed vegetables and beans or when used to make risotto. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/guides/grains.php

We are ready for food trials. I am looking at a grain (or a pseudo-grain actually) to be Little Man's first food. This would give us much versatility- a cereal, a "rice" type meal, a flour,....something for every meal. A good "base" for a tiny menu.

The most appealing part of Millet is the "very digestible grain" part! That could take a lot of confusing symptoms out of play as we introduce a food to him after 6mo. on nothing but liquids. Other grains in play: Aramanth, Quinoa, Teff,...But I am drawn to Millet Groats -- so much so I want to go purchase some right now! But I can't find anything online that looks "safe" for purchase. I have to make a trip to a few stores in town on Monday but I am not sure I will have success.

Will this be the week we begin food trials? Only if I can find the food!

2 comments:

  1. Joy, I found out about three large whole/health food stores here so far. I willgive them a call Monday and if they carry them I will go check them out and make sure they are indeed safe and ship ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good- was hoping you'd see my post! :) I did order some from Australia just now too...so, one way or another. I just want them to be sometime this week- little man is SOOOO ready for FOOD!! And a cereal type would be so perfect as he could have it for 3 meals/day while we work on the rest of his tiny menu!

    ReplyDelete