Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Coconut!

We started a coconut trial.   I have had my eye on coconut for months, but I was worried about the fiber and sugar content.   Well, it keeps "calling" me.  Sometimes I get an instinct about a food - but then that could be confused with how badly I want the food to be a pass in his diet.  

Coconut doesn't offer a huge nutritional jump, but it does have it's super-food powers.   Coconut can be classified as a functional food, a functional food that provides nutritional benefits beyond it's nutritional components. For a breakdown of all it's nutritional benefits, click here

So, beyond the fiber, and the healthy fats it provides benefits such as intestinal healing, healthy fat ratio.  It has many historical benefits, some of which are becoming published as the benefits are being explored.   There is some interesting information at this site on coconut research.  The benefits that grab my attention the most of course are: "Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candidiasis, ringworm, athlete's foot, thrush, diaper rash, and other infections", and that it "Improves digestion and absorption of other nutrients including vitamins, minerals, and amino acids".   These two factors alone are enough to want coconut in an FPIES child's diet.   

We are hoping and praying for a coconut "pass" (as we do with all foods but in particular super foods like Coconut).   It will be a great addition to have in his diet, mostly it will be a great addition to his hemp formula that I make for him.  

PS- Hemp is also considered a super food.

No comments:

Post a Comment