Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Monday, July 12, 2010

Mudslides

Our rollar coaster ride has hit a mudslide....the blood in his stool, then not eating well, then starting to refuse to eat, then a viral illness, everything started to look fuzzy through the haze of mud.....

Little man continues to run unexplained fevers and generally just feeling lousy- lots of crying like he hasn't done in a long time....it looks to be "just" some virus that he is fighting...day 5 of fevers today. So, we just have to keep a close eye on him.

He drank 70+oz of hemp milk today!!!!! But he was hungry all day....unfortunatly the hemp milk does not have enough carbohydrate and he does ok for a day or two but then it just caves on him and he needs the carb. I tried a few times adding the tapioca and cane sugar mix but he was refusing it, and gagging on it- and I can not have him associating this new formula with anything negative.

So tonight,after a very busy day, I started really trying to pinpoint where this mudslide started (other than the blood in stool from the neocate)- but that is where everything started to spiral and unfortunatly making it look like it was all connected. After much thought on it and careful review of my logs; I think it is the cane sugar he is not liking. He's reacted to things with sugar before, so maybe he has an aversion to sugar (or something more). Still not sure but for this instance, it seems that when I started experimenting with small amounts of adding cane sugar, things started to slide down this mudslide; that combined with his body fatigue from Neocate exposure after corn fail, and this virus- all just got to be too much for his tired little body.

I have added the plain tapioca starch back in this evening and he was almost immediatly a happier boy; so hopefully this works and I will stay away from the cane sugar for now -- will just have to figure out another way to get more carbs in him. His allergist at CHOP keeps suggesting a barley trial, but I am SOOO leary of grains right now!- I'm SO leary of ANYTHING that will have a chance of making him sick!!

But we do have to come up with some foods we think he will "pass" and be "safe" foods to expand his diet. I'm thinking potato is the better option for next trial- it is not a grain but it is a starch and would give him the carbs he needs, and so much more! Also, looking at Arrowroot starch. Need to get him healthier first though....

I keep searching for that little barometer that tells us that he is ready for a food trial, that his illness is or isn't related to food intolerance, or when a food is going towards an FPIES reaction.....still can't find it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment