Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Between a rock and a hard place...

When you can't go backwards and you're stuck with how to move forward....where do you go?

I know Little Man will outgrow this one day, my goal has been to get him thriving in the meantime. I don't want to just 'get by' and "survive" the next 1-3yrs...if he were pain free and not throwing up every few days and maybe able to tolerate even just 1-3foods; it would be a consideration. But the trace proteins of corn in the Neocate were keeping him from this - his gut remained inflammed and continued assualt and this would keep him from tolerating any foods and is likely the culprit of this possible carbohydrate maldigestion issue.

So, the choices are:

1. Stay on (go back to) Neocate and have continued gut assualt but know that his brain is fed. No foods for the next 1-2yrs, along with continued throwing up, continued mucous stools, continued pain with ingestion of anything, and off and on again agitation/fussiness/colic- whatever you call it- clearly uncomfortable. Risk continued food fails (because of gut inflammation and unknown consequences of that) and him being sick over and over again- and then not even wanting his Neocate. Also, this isn't just about him- I have 3 other boys who this is affecting daily as well, if we have a choice to get better than this....how can we not take it?

So, brings us to, choice

2. Hemp milk and build him a formula...risk him being sick while we tease out which ingredients he can tolerate as fortifiers. Risk him losing weight while we look for ways to fortify his formula. Move away from FPIES triggers and gut inflammation and be able to see more cleary where all his almost daily pain for the past 9+mo is coming from.

Right now, we're stuck- he does not tolerate the carbohydrates we are adding to his formula....I have to choose between giving him unbearable gas, and runny stools to give him a carbohydrate or give him plain Hemp milk and have him hungry, but pain free, from no carbohydrate.

He is so tired today, but I do not feel it is only from the plain Hemp milk only diet- I feel it is from the tapioca, sugar, and potato causing so much distress that is exhausting him because he can't sleep through it, also the watery diarrhea from the maldigested carbohydrate causing some dehydration. I hope he pops out of it soon. I hope GI agrees to see him SOON. We are in need of GI doctors input for further guidance. I could go it alone and guess, but I'd rather have some medical input...

I amtempted to go back to tapioca starch and give him enzymes....might be worth a try - I don't know. Also thinking of getting a meat trial underway. Will need grass-fed (no soy, no corn) beef, lamb or pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment