Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Bug Guy

The "bug guy" (aka probiotics) the Functional Medicine MD was referring to is: Custom Probiotics and the Functional Medicine MD knew of him and had others work with him, so he gave him a call for us and then asked me to check it out. So, I sent him a quick e-mail. Even something as "simple" as a probiotic needs to be researched for ingredients. Little man is already on one and we KNOW it has made a big difference BUT we are still missing something, and know we need to add more/different strains but have been unable to move past the one kind with the brand we are doing. So, it's worth a discussion. The owner, responded to my e-mail quickly and asked me to call him. I did and we proceeded to have a 45minute conversation - on gut bugs!

He recommends we try his version as his claims are that it is pure, powerful, and hypoallergenic.  He wants us to start with his D-Lactate free line. He says Lactate poses an issue with protein intolerant kids whose bodies perceive things as toxins (need to research more on that as I'm intrigued). He instructed us to start with 1baby scoop (these scoops are TINY) and work up to 3-4 scoops/day. He stressed that only I will be the judge of how much he needs, I will need to monitor his symptoms and see when he needs to move up, or back down and at what level he will be therapeutic at. He said anytime you have an imbalance of flora, and you start playing with that flora- you will see side effects; he didn't call it die off but that is often what it is referred to. 

I ordered the D.Lactate free, and he sent samples of L.Saliverus and L.acidophillus for him to trial once we work through the D.Lactate.

He had so much to say about how probiotics help the body function, he likened it to changing your environment from a cloudy day to sunny weather. He was helpful and pleasant and wanted me to keep in touch on Little mans progress. We'll see where this road takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment