Mothers Intuition

Have you ever had an instinct? An instinct that begins as a gnawing...Then grows into a raging burn; a burning instinct that something is wrong...

Your baby continues to get sick from the very foods he is supposed to thrive on. I did. I am a mom of a little boy just diagnosed with FPIES.

And that burning feeling now? Extinguished. My instincts? Stronger than ever. Guiding me, with my faith, as we navigate through the murky waters of our new world created by something called FPIES.

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; Faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Corn is in Everything!

I have a few corn website resources since we discovered corn being a trigger for Little Man.  I wanted to do a post about it, as I have been finding new resources for corn allergies...and also finding something as reassuring as finding FPIES support groups....that there are other corn allergic people out there, facing the same challenges and obstacles to health. 

The first one I found still has been my biggest "go-to" as she put a lot of work into her webpage to help corn allergic people.  She provides a list of corn derived products, product names that could mean corn....it is at the very least a great list to know which ingredients I need to yield to, and check on....I always check everything for myself.    You can not simply trust a doctor or a pharmacist, or a company customer service representative (no matter how well meaning)....or the ingredient listing.  You need to know the ingredient source of all ingredients.  Corn has many names and many things you wouldn't suspect corn to be a part of, has corn derivites; and many people simply do not recognize this to know.  It is up to you, as the corn allergic person to check ingredients.  Her website is: Corn Allergens

The next one I came across is: Corn free foods blog
This is an active blog and has provided some eye opening topics, discussions, articles.  I follow this blog daily. 

Another good blog to follow is: Live Corn free.  Visit this site to sign a petition to get corn added in the top 8 Allergens.

Another one I just found is appropriatly named: a Zillion Uses for Corn.  It is a quick-read-great eye opener for just how many things corn are in (wish I would have found it when I spent a few hours researching why Little man kept reacting to the sheetrock he was putting in his mouth, or the books he was eating!)...paper and gypsum board have corn in them!!

An article shared to me shed some light on why corn is in everything, it is: http://www.abmf.com/news/nabitor It is good to know why it is in everything because then you know when to suspect it might be in something. In short, it is a mold-inhibitor...so a preservative (for food and non-food).

There are many more, and the list grows.  I have started a corn resources section on the side of my blog for those following that also have to worry about corn for their little ones (and my place to keep it all organized!). 

Little Mans corn intolerance is quite sensitive.  I get worried when I wonder if he'll ever outgrow it...being so sensitive to it and us taking so long to discover it, his last corn ingestions were in August, but then he did have an accidental ingestion, of sheetrock (we really need to get our basement finished - we started the remodel of the walls before Little man was born but we haven't had the time or money to finish mud/tape/painting it!).  Since his anemia is better, he doesn't have the PICA he has had in the past so his sheet-rocking seeking obsession isn't as bad.   And since the last time he accidently ingested it, he hasn't tried again -- maybe he finally associated that ingestion with his reaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment